Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Entitlement

Because of Aalen University and UMaine's close relationship, professors from my home college have been visiting this month. This of course means that all of the UMaine kids have to put their best faces forward and leave the party stories at the door as we regale our visiting teachers of how much we have learned within the classroom!

Not with this particular Professor that came our way this week though! There are the naysayers about public education and believe that the private sector gives you a competitive edge that cannot be compared. As a graduate from UMaine, I feel really competitive. Coming out of the Business College I had the pleasure of some really brilliant professors.

One of my Marketing professors is responsible for bringing Ferraro Rocher and Tic-Tacs to the market. My Finance professor, literally doesn't sleep. And I really do mean that literally. He is too busy writing articles to be published, reading every book in existence and checking the stocks all while memorizing every single one of his student's names. If you look at his email logs in our class forums, the times of when he posts things range from 6pm to 12am to 3am to 6am and so on. So I would say that UMaine is like a bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out the academic talent.

This is also true for the professor that came to Aalen and there was no need to be censored with him at all. He is Irish Catholic and besides asking us how we were all adjusting, he wanted to know the best place to get a large, ice cold beer.

As we settled into the Bier Garten we talked about one particular Grad class he teaches, Negotiation Techniques. I mentioned that I was going to be faced with buying a car when I arrived home and he basically gave me a crash course in the class he teaches back at UMaine. After 2 liters of beer he had infused me with so much of his bad-assness that no car salesman stands a chance against me. He gave me his finest tips on how to ensure that I don't get taken for a ride, but the most important question he asked me was this:

"What do you need and what do you want?"
"No matter what you want,
you always end up paying for anything above your need."
"So what do you really want?"

It's a good question. Not only for when I am laying out the guidelines for paying for a new car, but in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment