Thursday, July 14, 2011

Save me from myself!

I bit the bullet and I turned 23 a couple of weeks ago! I am not going to lie, I was a little apprehensive about this birthday. Birthdays are usually my thing and I don't believe in a life without (huge) birthday parties, but this one felt a little weird. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful I am still in my 20's, but I feel a little old.

18, 19 and 20 was all about fucking up (Neil Young style) and making poor decisions while the latter part of 20 and 21 was trying to figure out a way to navigate myself out of all of the poor choices while living up the ability to drink in public. 22 was recognizing that even though I am not 21 and am closer to becoming a bona fide adult, fun can still be the main theme in my life with little ramification. 23 means I am closer to 25 and getting further and further away from 21, when life was so simple and fun.

Again, don't get me wrong, my life is amazing and for someone as old as me, I have aged very well ;) BUT 23 represents a time where I have to start seriously thinking about what I want to do with my life. Grad school? Entry level job? No job - and no money and just travel...see where the wind takes me? What do I really want to focus my energy on? More importantly, who do I perceive myself as and how is that going to translate through the decisions I am going to make.

This is also the first year where I don't have college to fall back on. I never had to answer these questions b/c UMaine was patiently waiting for me to go back to it's safety net of a pseudo-apartment and structured classes. The biggest decisions I ever had to make was really about whether or not I was seriously going to wake up for that 9am class or should I just drop it now or what comforter and curtain theme did I want to go with for my dorm that year. Big shock...all jobs start at 9am and there isn't a drop option for that. Well poverty, but that isn't really an option.

I would say that even though I was having mild panic attacks the week prior to July 2nd, I handled my birthday with grace. It was very low-key, German bowling in the afternoon (and yes, there is a distinct difference! All the pins are on strings among other things) and having a dew drinks in the city center with a bunch of friends who were awesome enough to come out!

I am declaring this year as the age of humility, being less materialistic and less high strung. I will start with that and see what else comes my way. I have had it pretty good for the past 23 years, I can imagine the next 23 will be even better!
The losers!




There is something about the French that brings out the class in anyone!
Spanish Mafia!

Started the birthday with a round of Absinth shots and a toast saying "to green grass and blue skies for as long as we're breathing!" It doesn't get any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment