Well Welcome to Schweitzer Mountain! Here I am with blue skies, deep snow, great vis and moderate wind. It is 12 degrees and from what I am hearing this is one of the biggest days Schweitzer has seen!
I was able to ring the bell today summoning the packed lines waiting to get up the mountain that the chair lift is open! A great tradition and one that should be implemented for every walk of life. Few things are as important as the opening of a lift at a ski mountain and the bell represented this perfectly.
What is funny about Schweitzer is that there are a lot of New Englanders here! Maybe this is something we should pick up on? Hmmm, I won't ever betray my Northeastern roots, but what I see so far out here I am liking! So far I have met people from Dover, Bartlett and Gorham, NH. Even the CEO is from North Conway! It already feels like I am at home!
We have reached a 4,900 person capacity on 2900 acres and we still have a few hours to close. The snow is amazing with people falling in up to their waist! This is something that East skiers rarely deal with so I am not sure if I want that experience to say I had it or if I want to avoid it altogether! I was already briefed on Tree Wells. This is a serious and dangerous hazard of skiing the West! If you fall into the base of a trunk after powder days you can suffocate in a matter of minutes and it is difficult to get yourself out. I can't believe people trust me to snowboard down this mountain.
The office I work in is in a 2 story building and is painted bright orange and lime green. It definitely helps the creative juices flow! No joke though, the porch in which I have to walk up two flights of stairs to get to the office front door is full of snow. There is so much powder here that it reaches up to at least two stories. It is crazy!
I have built in snowboard breaks during the day in order to keep my mind moving. Everyone in the office does. I am literally required to snowboard out here. And because there is so much snow and it reaches our back deck, I just walk out the door, strap on my board and slide towards the lift. It is amazing. Who wouldn't want this job?
When I asked about the dress code before coming out there I was told that it is Western Casual and jeans are the norm. I figured I would try and impress them a few times out of my internship and I brought my heels and oxfords and pencil skirts. Thankfully I didn't wear them on my first day. I quickly realized that you're laughed at if you show up to the mountain in any of the above. I kind of like it that way. It is much simpler. In fact, tomorrow I am going into the office dressed in my snowboarding garb!
No comments:
Post a Comment