We all take on characteristics from our childhood and it isn't anyone's problem, but our own. Our parents didn't mean to yell in front of us or give the silent treatment when they thought we weren't looking, but people fight and sometimes the outcome isn't beautiful. Sometimes (ok a lot of the time) the outcome is divorce.
I never thought about how devastating divorce is. I never had a negative connotation of it because it was so necessary in my house. It was a sigh of relief rather than a gasp of fear.
So by writing down how I learned to argue (and some of these tactics weren't taught by my parents. Some of them I created myself) I am holding myself accountable. It is now documented.
- I never tell you how I am really feeling even though it is clear that I am upset.
- I can give the silent treatment
- I bring up the past, which makes it so any relationship can never grow
- I can resort to name calling
- I will slam doors
- And as annoying as it is for those I am having a heated discussion with, any inflection in one's voice and I automatically think they are yelling at me.
I haven't figured out a better way to fight beyond NOT doing those things above, but I have learned that a fight doesn't mean that everything is a bust. The fact that I would run away from any sign of difference or hide behind any of the above tactics just proves the point of how afraid I used to be of looking in the mirror at my own reflection. There are better ways to prove your passion for a point and it has nothing to do with acting like a 10 year old girl. (This doesn't mean I have been able to realize when a relationship stops being worth fighting for! Any tips on that would save a lot of my time;)!)
Because the fact is, divorce is devastating no matter how necessary it may be at times. You promise everything you have to someone and years down the road you have to take it back. The road to recovery for all involved is long. (But if we are being honest, if you ended up divorced, perhaps you didn't wholeheartedly promise that other person anything.)
But what do I know! I am only 22 and I just thought it was cool to lay it on the line about what I do poorly when it comes to fighting! So in the next phase of my life I will be a gentle warrior! How would you want to be described when it comes to fighting?
I would want to be described as someone who fights the "good fight". In other words, whatever it is I'm fighting about, has got to be worth the trauma of confrontation. One can't really resort to the name calling or the door slamming because nothing gets solved and nobody wins.
ReplyDeleteOf course, I am much older than 22 and it has taken me oh so many years to figure out how to fight the "good fight". I am very impressed that a 22 year old is taking the time to reflect on relationship mechanics and communication. None of us can change what we don't acknowledge. Writing it down and putting it out there is a courageous,
helpful thing to do. Your spirit makes me hopeful.
I love how you describe the "good fight." I have always admired "quiet strength." Those who are able to get their point across carefully and thoughtfully without resulting to arguments with holes in it or low blows. Thank you for your words of wisdom and encouragement!
ReplyDelete