Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sing me a song

I have a day off coming up soon. My schedule is a solid 40 hours a week, interning 7:30 to 4:30. This means I have to be up at 5:30am to catch the 7am bus up the mountain. You don't want to drive up the 9 mile stretch to get to Schweitzer. It s better to have a bus do all of that work for you. I am not even kidding the 9 mile stretch up to the Base is chock-full of 7 hairpin turns. These turns are so sharp they are equivalent to doing a u-turn and it is as steep as steep can be the entire way up. It is terrifying the first couple of times you head up it.

But yes, my day starts at 5:30 am to drive up this mountain and get to work. I haven't had a schedule this early since the Summer when I was participating in Cranmore's fitness club, but that was voluntary, with the option to sleep in! The earliest Iever had to get up for work or school was my Freshman year in college for an 8:30 class and there was a reason I switched all of my classes to a 12pm schedule! I am not a morning person, so I am resorting to my childhood roots and I am in bed by 8pm every night. Even New Year's Eve Night, I didn't go out. I stayed in with a glass of wine and hit the hay way before the ball even thought about dropping. Though I am remembering from the Summer and re-discovering that if you get up early, you get a lot more done in the day.

Anyway, back to the day off. Tuesday's and Wednesdays are my new days to look forward to.(Way to really say goodbye to college life. Friday and Saturday are no longer the days to be hailed!) I am heading out on the mountain, which means I need some good songs to fill up my IPod! My boarding play list is outdated and needs to be revamped for some riding inspiration! I have a few must-haves such as Revival by SoulSavers and MGMT's Electric Feel and San Jose by Joe Purdy and of course Gravity by John Mayer, but something soulful would be wonderful to add to the collection. Something to make me really ponder the meaning of life and love and what it means to take advantage of every day!
The scenery already helps me do that, with the effect of the quiet and calm that sparkling snow has. A co-worker thoughtfully pondered out loud the importance of chairlift meditations. It's a funny thought, but so spot-on, that I was surprised I hadn't thought of it sooner. We spend a lot of time riding the chairlift up and up again to get to the top of the mountain, so what are we doing with that time? Sometimes we are with our friends and other times we are sitting awkwardly next to a stranger, but when we aren't making conversation or creeping on other's conversations we have time to think. That time can be used to answer pressing questions about the drama in our lives or what we are thankful for and the plan for the next hour, day, week or year of our lives.

Thanks to certain influences in my life I always need a soundtrack to go with any of the above introspection and I know a lot of you out there are the same way! Lyrics always take on a deeper meaning to me and since the chairlift tends to bring deep thoughts to any person's mind any suggestions for this month's soundtrack would be greatly appreciated. Call, text or post your favorite song and what it means to you. This blog is so exclusive all of you followers know my number;) (And by exclusive I mean I haven't gotten that movie deal that worked so well for Julie and Julia!)

I hope all of you had a wonderful New Year's Eve and your hopes and dreams and desires are all fulfilled these next 12 months! AH-HA, I think that will be the thought of the day for what my co-worker so eloquently put it, my chairlift meditations!

1 comment:

  1. Hey hey! Here are some of my suggestions for you. These are more relaxing and somewhat thought provoking songs than that of quicker-beat snowboarding-esque songs. Anyways, these are probably perfect for your chairlift meditations. If you don't have any of these I'll be more than happy to send them to you but you'll have to get your internet situation figured out first! Anyways hope you like em! I've got plenty more too! Oh yah, and boyce avenue is the name of the band that you checked my ipod for then immediately forgot their name afterward. :) ttys!

    ryan adams-wonderwall
    jeff buckley - hallelujah
    ryan bingham - the weary kind
    jeff bridges - fallin & flyin
    matt pond PA - champagne supernova
    joe purdy - wash away
    michelle featherstone - coffee and cigarettes

    ReplyDelete