Friday, February 4, 2011

What's your anthem?

So reverting back to an older post about chairlift meditations, I was asked by a friend what song I would consider my anthem? - Funnily enough this question was posed on a chairlift! - I always have my headphones in when I hit the slopes, but I never really thought about which song spoke to me the most.

Asking me to choose my favorite song or most poignant song is like asking a parent which child they love the most. I can never answer absolutely. It is the same thing when it comes to my favorite books or movies. Different things speak to me on different dimensions. So, I went through my ITunes playlist and researched which songs I had listened to most over the past few months. Some songs I am just embarrassed to admit I listen to and even exist in my ITunes. I like to think of myself as a music connoisseur (you are what you think, right?)

It was a close game with wonders like "Proudest Monkey" or "I'll Back You Up" by Dave Matthews. Bob Dylan does an awesome duet with Van Morrison (one of my favorite artist's of all time) on "Crazy Love" Bon Iver delivers some great hits with "Skinny Love" and "Blood Bank" but it has to be a tie between Martin Sexton's "Black Sheep" (although he does an amazing rendition of "Purple Rain") and Grace Potter's "Apologies." The latter came in with a stunning 794 plays on my ITunes playlist and that doesn't count the amount of times I have left it on repeat on my IPod. Out of the some 3,500 songs I have in my ITunes library, those were the two winners.

My anthems couldn't be the polar opposite of my friend's, which is probably the way it is supposed to be! Why would we be friends if we were exactly the same. But none-the-less, Grace Potter is awesome to follow. She is amazing live and her song "Apologies" is a very honest in my mind. And when it comes to a man that was trained in Classical Opera, but gave it up to sing Acoustic Rock, who wouldn't love that?

So in the words of Martin Sexton:

Times they were changing, I did just a little re-arranging
Take a couple chances on my progress as it advances
To that prize of my freedom!

What's your anthem?

1 comment:

  1. "Asking me to choose my favorite song or most poignant song is like asking a parent which child they love the most"


    I love this :)

    ReplyDelete