Friday, March 11, 2011

Festivus!

I headed East to Ellwangen for a festival. Everyone dresses up in costume, there is a lot of singing and dancing and even more drinking. Each town hosts a carnival to celebrate the independence of their town and Ellwangen knows how to break it down! It was like going to the birthday party of the Macy's Day Parade's child. Smaller, but the floats were really extensive for only having a few months to work on them and the pride and creativity of the German people were awesome!
The crew that went (from left to right) was: My roommate Rich, Xavi from Catelonia, Guillem who is the Mother hen of all the Spaniards, Ignacio who is from Barcelona and who is so interested in conversing in English that he will strike up a a conversation with even the most drunk person and not fully understand what he is getting himself into and me!
They had the theme from the Titanic playing in the background of this float. I thought it was pretty funny.
Guillem is on Youtube for building the highest human tower in Catelonia. I am pretty sure he is a mini superstar there for it. That is probably the best kind of insurance you could ever have when climbing on a person's shoulders in order to see better.
This had to be my favorite display of all! Those are all Marie Antoinette & Louis XVI actresses & actors with a guillotine following behind them. Very creative if I do say so myself!
This is Xavi, Ignacio and me showing our tickets with pride! When you pay your entrance fee they give you these plastic men that are supposed to represent something, but my history escapes me and the internet isn't bringing up anything conclusive!
I don't know how they were able to drive this thing around the corners, but seeing The Flintstones again was awesome! Sometimes you forget that we all have the same stuff no matter where we are in the world, including the best cartoons!
This is taken with a group that walked in the parade from a music club in town. They were all really friendly and they bought us all shots that tasted exactly like Robitussin - in fact it probably was Robitussin. I also think that is the only type of shot that any bar in Germany sells. Every bar I have gone to, those are the only shots I have seen served. I wasn't planning on partaking in any of that, but Guillem insisted which proves that any party is not complete without a Spanish crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment