Now don't get me wrong from what I wrote in my last post. Sure my friends got taken for a ride and lost a significant amount of money in the Czech Republic, but thisisn't a reflection of the country as a whole or for that matter my friends as a whole! Something like this could happen anywhere to anyone. If we let things like this influence the way we generalize a culture, country or continent then we would need to look at the deep south in America, any alley way in any city of our home country, parking lots that house really tricked out cars or even our own backyard to that poor girl who was found murdered in our beautiful town- may she rest in peace.
Safe traveling is an issue anywhere and the only way to circumvent it is to prepare for the worst and utilize all those seemingly dumb hints about traveling. Like separating your money and putting half in your socks, which is very uncomfortable...especially if you have coins!
I digress though. The most important thing is that everyone had a good attitude about it. Xavi even said - after planning the death of this criminal man, which included running him over with our industrial van to break his legs - yes he has my money, but at least I have my legs! In any event, I did go to Prague and the city was very eye opening.
We saw so many weddings over the weekend. I feel really lucky to have been able to grab such a great picture at the last second!
Hell yeah! Miles Davis, Prague really knows how to rock out..or jazz out!
This is the Astronomical Clock right in the city center. Every so often it will do a show as it hits the hour.People line up 50 minutes before just to catch a glimpse!
The city of Prague is set up in sections, like Prague 1, Prague 2, Prague 5 etc.
Just scratching the surface, the dancing is different from anything I have ever seen in the States, accept of course on TV when Elaine dances! But the city itself is like a patchwork quilt. There all of these beautiful buildings intertwined with buildings from every different decade mixed in there. You will scan and see old historical buildings that are sewn between buildings from the 70's or the 90's or big and daunting administrative buildings. The Vltava river runs right through the city and is marked by so many different bridges running across it.
I wish someone had told me to flick my hair from my face! At least this isn't in a wedding picture or something more significant!
History also shows what this city has been through in trying to establish itself. The Jewish Quarter and Jewish Cemetery are visual evidence of how oppressed the people of this religion have been for centuries. At one point my roommate and I discussed the topic of immigration.
The entrance to the Jewish Cemetery. I think the door is fitting with how overwhelming the silence is when you peer through the door's window. It really makes you think about your own life.
When this part of the city was designated for the Jewish Ghetto, they were only given a small plot of land to bury the dead. All of the graves are dug for 12 bodies deep and families had to pile their loved ones on top of each other. Just look at how congested the gravestones are.
He and I are always pinpointed in our classes b/c everyone wants to understand America or they want their preconceived notions about our country confirmed. There have been many times that I have gotten myself tongue-tied just trying to explain the different components that makes up my country. A concept that is very hard to explain and for my classmates to understand is our ability to be unified with so much diversity. This isn't a racist stance, it is just hard to understand that so many different cultures live under one roof and that what you may see in Cali in terms of demographics, architecture, nature etc, you won't see in Boston.
So as we talk about our country, my roommate and I think about how people must view their own country and have a connection with it. With that being said, one of the on things that makes America so great is that so many people renounce their country and declare citizenship with the States based on the idea of the freedom it offers. Can you imagine leaving the States if it came down to it through war, declining economy, oppression etc.? Do you think you could renounce your citizenship for a country in which you didn't grow up? Just how much could you leave behind?
They are very poignant questions. And the answers to why and how people could do that still hold a lot of water. No one in America has the right to take away the freedom of any idea anyone may have. Whatever you venture into is protected in the US, whether it be from marriage to religion to school to business. And I guess that is worth leaving everything behind for even though it must be one of the most painful things to do.
Especially when your city is as beautiful as Prague is!
Oh, goodie. Of course you'd had to go to MY country and had something bad happen to you... I completely forgot to warn you that going to Prague can be like going to New York City - kinda cool, but with so many tourists around, people from all over the globe might try to take your money, one way or another. I'm glad you're not forming your opinion based on that :) So sorry, though.
ReplyDeleteBut it looks like you had a good time! And what lovely pictures! So happy you're enjoying yourself!
Dana