One of the best parts of traveling with your Mother is that she will take you on sophisticated trips where you stay in an actual hotel and have 5 star meals served to you. You also see things that may not have made it on the itinerary b/c Blind Booking didn't fly into the city you may have wanted it to.
So because of Mother love, I was able to see the American Cemetery in Normandy. We spent a week on a river cruise up the Seine and our big stop was Normandy. After all of the memorials I have seen in and around Germany regarding WWII, it brought everything to a close to be able to see the American perspective of it. We were able to see the cemetery that over 9,000 American Soldiers call home and we were able to walk on the Omaha Beach they stormed.
I have mentioned before that I since living in Europe I have become obsessed with WWII. I research it all the time and I am always searching for the same thing. I can read countless facts, many personal accounts and as much background history on it as I want. But what I really want is to know exactly how it feels to be a soldier going into battle or to know how it feels to have your people persecuted. Because that way maybe I could understand how a catastrophe like WWII could happen.
Part of the Omaha Beach, we stormed.
Garden of the Missing. The wall displays all of the names of the soldier's that were never found.
the ceiling of the chapel at the end of the cemetery. It represents America saying goodbye to all of her lost son's.
German bunker.
Just had to take this picture to show that even something beautiful could grow out of such ugliness.
Crater that a bomb left.
Sarah and I weren't sure if it's appropriate to smile or take funny pictures at such a serious place, but a photo without people smiling it is too depressing and so is just a cement hole.
The terrain that soldiers had to navigate as they fought the Germans during D-Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment